100 years of Bauhaus
The Bauhaus centenary celebrations are among the biggest cultural events taking place in Germany. In 1919 Walter Gropius founded Thuringia’s legendary school of art and architecture in Weimar. Even today, ideas that originated in the Bauhaus still inspire architects, designers and artists around the world. Taking as its slogan ’100 years of Bauhaus. From Thuringia into the world’, Thuringia is organising an inspirational tour that explores the place where it all began. The stand of Thuringia in Hall 11.2 will have important tips, dates and stories on the big centenary event.
In 2019 Thuringia will be showing that the spirit of the Bauhaus lives on in Weimar as well as places unrelated to its well-known origins.
Important events in Thuringia
- 6 April 2019 – the exhibition ’The Bauhaus comes from Weimar’ opens at Bauhaus Museum Weimar
- 18 May 2019 – the Haus am Horn opens
- 6 April 2019 – the exhibition ’Van de Velde, Nietzsche and Modernism around 1900’ opens at Neues Museum Weimar
- Visitors automatically receive a BauhausCard 2019 for the price of a normal ticket (11 euros) which is valid for admission to the Bauhaus-Museum Weimar and Neues Museum Weimar, both of which open on 6 April 2019.
- A bonus feature of the BauhausCard: free admission to over 70 venues until the following day.
- A tour on foot of various Bauhaus attractions at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Summer 2019: opening of the Bauhaus workshops in Dornburg – ceramics in Thuringia
- The art of weaving in Thuringia: Margaretha-Reichardt-Haus in Erfurt
- A grand tour of modernism in Thuringia
Exhibitions and performances
Over 50 exhibitions, celebrations and events will be taking place around Thuringia. The centenary celebrations will also be a theme of major international events including the Thuringia Bach Festival, the Thuringia Liszt Biennale and the ACHAVA Festival.
Hall 11.2, Stand 103