Companies driving the positive transformation of the travel industry into a sustainable world should make sure to apply for the World Legacy Awards at nationalgeographic.com/worldlegacyawards.
The awards are an initiative of the National Geographic Society in partnership with ITB Berlin. The World Legacy Awards honor companies, organizations, destinations and leaders that act and think sustainable and are best practice pioneers.
Applications are being accepted in five categories:
- Earth Changers — Recognizing cutting-edge leadership in environmentally friendly business practices and green technology, from renewable energy and water conservation to zero-waste systems and carbon-emission reduction.
- Sense of Place — Recognizing excellence in enhancing sense of place and authenticity, including using vernacular architecture and design, and support for the protection of historical monuments, archaeological sites, cultural events, indigenous heritage and artistic traditions.
- Conserving the Natural World — Recognizing outstanding support for the preservation of nature, restoring natural habitat and protecting rare and endangered species, whether on land or in the oceans.
- Engaging Communities — Recognizing direct and tangible economic and social benefits that improve local livelihoods, including training and capacity building, fair wages and benefits, community development, health care and education.
- Destination Leadership — Recognizing destination leadership, including cities, provinces, states, countries and regions that are demonstrating environmental best practices, protection of cultural and natural heritage, benefits to local communities and educating travelers on the principles of sustainability.
World Legacy Awards winners and finalists will receive coverage in National Geographic Traveler, at ITB Berlin and ITB Asia reaching a global travel-minded audience. Finalists will be announced by National Geographic in November 2015, and the winners will be announced in March 2016 at ITB Berlin during a special awards ceremony and will also participate on stage in related events.